How can calcified plaques in coronary arteries be treated?

My C.T. angiography indicates “No significant stenosis in coronary C.T. angiography, only calcified plaques with mild, nonsignificant stenosis in mid-portion of LAD”. I appreciate professional advice on how to treat the disease and take preventive measures.

One Response to “How can calcified plaques in coronary arteries be treated?”

  1. josiemulder Says:

    Calcified plaques are the best kind of plaque you can have – kind of the lesser of the evils. And there is no significant stenosis – or narrowing of the arteries, which is also good.

    Over time, plaque (or fatty deposits) in your arteries build up a kind of shell around them. When they get hard, they are called calcified. This is good because they are stable and are less likely to break open and cause chest pain or even a heart attack or stroke.

    Plaque without that special shield are more vulnerable to being broken open. These are called unstable, and are more likely to cause problems with chest pain or heart attack.

    Hope that clarifies things. You do want to avoid more plaque if you can, either way. So eating healthy, exercising regularly, not smoking, and taking your medications as prescribed will help keep you in good shape.

    Hope that helps!